Monday, March 16, 2009

Super Easy Tie Blanket Tutorial.



This blanket is my go-to baby gift. My daughter received one from her aunt and we use(d) it all the time – mostly as a place to play on the floor, lounge and sleep. And babies can never have too many blankets. The best thing of all is that its so easy to make... I feel kind of silly writing a tutorial, but here it is!

THINGS YOU NEED
1.5 yards of fleece of one design
1.5 yards of fleece of a complementary design
sharp scissors
ruler

STEP 1



Cut the fabric into 2 rectangles of the same size.
The exact size just depends on how big you want your blanket. (I use as much of the 1.5 yards of fabric as possible, so baby has a lot of playing room, with extra room for playmates and even mommy when she is so tired she needs to pass out on the blanket too.) There are many ways to make the fleece pieces the same size, using rulers, t-squares, slide-rules, an abacus... but I like to use this very scientific way: I lay one piece [a] down on the floor, and cut off the rough edges until it could pass as a rectangle. Next I put the other piece [b] on the floor, and then put [a] on top, then just trim [b] to the size of [a].

STEP 2



Using sharp scissors, cut strips about an inch (or maybe a tad bigger) wide and 5 inches long around the entire perimeter of the rectangle.
To see what happens at the corners, see photo below. Some people cut the corners out first.



STEP 3



Tie the strips together as shown, knotting it two times (top fleece to bottom fleece) around the perimeter, and your blanket is done. Bravo!

2 comments:

  1. I love this blanket!!! I've made one before, it was actually a bunch of us making them for the homeless last Christmas, and they are fun to make. But I have to say that I really like this pattern and the colors. I should probably make one for my dad...he's always cold. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea for your Dad... these are so warm and cozy. The girls still use their blanket a lot too, although now it is more for picnics, forts, etc.

    ReplyDelete