Monday, January 23, 2012

LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GIVE MY CREATION... LIFE!

When I was a kid I was seduced by the promises of this advertisement:
Those brilliant white smiles! The blonde with a bow on her head! Is that one playing a lute?

I did in fact try to hatch some Seas Monkeys when I was younger, but it was a colossal letdown. None hatched. So when I saw that Santa (that sly devil!) had brought some for my 7 yo daughter, I was ready to help give it another try.

Without further ado, here are the results:
I am alternately disgusted and intrigued by these things. In general, I don’t like sea life - I don’t eat any seafood, and for me, most underwater things are on a par with insects... cockroaches and the like. But it is pretty amazing to see these guys and gals flitting about, procreating with wild abandon. No bows, lipstick or musical instruments of any sort, but still pretty cool. And gross. I think the weirdest thing has been that while typing this, my soda is sitting next to the tank... and every so often when I reach for the soda, I think What if I accidentally grabbed the tank and drank the Sea Monkeys instead of the Dr. Pepper?! And then I feel slightly nauseous for a few minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - Did you ever watch the South Park episode about Cartman's Sea monkeys? Funny stuff (if you like that sort of thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw that one, but I will have to check it out : )

    ReplyDelete